Monday, March 14, 2016

Tell me, tell me, tell me, something I don't know.

Since I do not have a car, I spend a lot of time walking from place to place.  Often Pandora radio is my only companion.  Sometimes I think the universe is trying to communicate with me through Pandora.  Particularly because no matter what station I turn to, Selena Gomez sings to me. 

Celtic Woman radio?  Selena Gomez. 

Gregorian Chant radio?  Selena Gomez. 

Tom Clancy audiobook?  I don’t’ know if that is a thing, but if it is, you can bet Selena would be singing it. 

Eventually I find myself thinking, “You know what, who says I’m not beautiful?  Who says I can’t be in movies.  Oh my gosh, Selena, you are right!  The heart DOES want what it wants!” 

Similarly, Adele is trying to tell me something, though it’s harder to say what.  Though I respect her talent and will defend her melodious ways, I don’t usually understand her lyrics.  For example: 

Hello from the other side
I must have called a thousand times
To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done
But when I call you never seem to be home

Hello from the outside
At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry for breaking your heart
But it don't matter it clearly doesn't tear you apart anymore

Okay, Adele, from where are you calling?  Are you dead?  Presumably you are in California, but is that a metaphor?  Does this person have a landline?  Is that why you assume he or she is not home?  Because I think your wording would be different, as a person need not be “home” to answer on his or her cell.  And if this person hasn’t picked up the first twenty times or so, why did you keep trying?  At this point, it’s probably fair to think he or she has blocked you.  Or possibly gotten a restraining order.  You are calling from the “outside.”  Outside of what?  This mortal coil?  Outside of his or her new relationship?  Outside of his or her second floor apartment window while hanging from a branch that abuts the guest bedroom?  I think it’s healthy that whomever this individual is, he or she appears to have moved on.  You mention as much in the last line.  You’ve obviously made art from this experience.  Good for you.  Perhaps it’s time for the narrator of this song to get some therapy, maybe a puppy, and move on as well.  That could be the next single.  “Goodbye.” 

Of course, maybe the universe is just trying to say “hello” to me through Pandora, and this was the best way to do it.  Hello from the other side, even. 


So it’s probably best to not overthink it.  Maybe I’ll give Apple Music a try just in case I’m on to something otherworldly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by fabulous k