Saturday, January 18, 2014

Curious indeed


We watch a lot of television in Chez Theology Girl.  While I would like to be a Pinterest mother—one who makes homemade Play-Doh, organic meals that also double as fantasy landscapes, or functional yet stunning craft projects using recycled materials—I am not.  Pinterest mothers, I salute you, but I do not understand your ways.

The shows we watch range from painful (Winx) to mildly annoying (Paw Patrol) to entertaining (Peep and the Big Wide World) to something I’ve considered watching even when the kids are asleep (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic).  All of the other shows fall somewhere on this spectrum.  However, even the best of them often leave me baffled.

Take, for example, Curious George.  In the first book by Margaret and H.A. Rey, the Man in the Yellow Hat captures George and brings him home.  George struggles at first, but after a good pipe, feels much better.  Now, this I respect.  Should small children be encouraged to rip creatures out of their natural habitat or calm their nerves with a new carcinogenic vice?  I guess not.  But it has a certain devil-may-care attitude that I admire.

Curious George the show, however, washes away all of that.  In this version, George himself accidentally climbs into the Man in the Yellow Hat’s bag and accidentally ends up half way across the world.  Sure, franchise, blame the victim.  And am I the only one who sometimes called the Man “The King in Yellow” from time to time? 

Anyway, George is constantly getting into trouble because they leave him alone.  To tend the library.  To man the concession stand at a baseball game.  To do the grocery shopping.  People.  He is a monkey.  What do you expect?  Someone needs to call animal protective services because clearly the King in Yellow has problems.  I guess that’s fair; he is associated with certain forms of madness. 

My husband has a theory that George is actually a helper monkey for the King in Yellow.  That explanation makes the most sense.  I figure the guy must come from money, being able to maintain both a Manhattan apartment and a country home while working about five hours a week.  He could afford such a highly trained animal.  Thinking that George is there to keep the King in Yellow alive also makes it fathomable that George would be tasked with such care and upkeep.  

I realize I am over-thinking a children’s show.  I pointed out these obvious flaws to the kids and they seemed unperturbed.  It is this fact more than any other that makes me fear I have somehow failed them as a mother.

I think I might search Pinterest for some real King in Yellow craft ideas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by fabulous k